Don’t know why.. but I really like this photo of me and Elvira. She always want’s to sit on my shoulders.
I can never stress enough the importance of getting references. A lot of times in my work when I encounter people who doesn't have that much of experience they often start working without checking references enough. And sometimes they even tell me that they have done a internet search, which basically means that they have downloaded three images and used one as a texture.
So here comes a little check list.
- Download at least 50 images for each item
- Put them into category of a style or an era
- Check with the supervisor which of the images that he/she likes
- Download more images that resembles the once that were chosen
- pick 5 favorites
- draw some thumbnails of specific features
- draw basic volumes of the item
- print out some of them and draw on top of the paper (don't do that in photoshop)
The reason I like to draw on paper is because you get a feel for the item without using a computer. You brain starts to connect the dots and you in a way solve a lot of problems before you start modeling.
If you are doing some modeling on your own just for the sake of it, you should follow the same list but add a few check points.
- Who owns this item?
- What is the story behind all the features on the item
- What's the story behind the item itself
If you follow these steps you will end up with a much greater design than what you would if you were only doing everything without references. You can do these steps also with texturing, or rather "you should do these steps with texturing".
I'm attaching an image to this little 'article', it's a work in progress that I'm doing in my spare time (for my shortfilm).
It's an old TV which the person who owns it didn't have money to upgrade it. But he did upgrade it himself, he made it a stereo tv (even though it only outputs mono sound).
I did my research here with the TV and the speakers. But rushed away with the furniture that it sits on. So you can clearly see that the TV furniture isn't as well thought of as the rest, so I need to redo that one. But it's a good example what happens when you don't follow the steps. And that you need to keep reminding yourself that you SHOULD FOLLOW THE STEPS!! I need to do that all the time.
all the best